Thursday, January 23, 2014

What the heck is a Kuraimu

You may have noticed that this blog is called Kuraimu. You probably did notice; it's right there in the URL and at the top of the page. So what the heck does it mean?

Well, Kuraimu is the name I gave to my wall. The first one was the janky hangboard I started my journey with- I'll do a post about that at another time.

Kuraimu is written in Japanese as くらい夢. That last character means "dream", and put together it sounds like, well, climb. What's that character doing in there? In the village I live in, many buildings and facilities have names that end in 夢, or "mu" - the hotel is called Rimu, the woodworking museum/community center is called Komu, the big flower garden is called Kamu, etc.. It's one of the ways my village creates a sense of cohesion and community- another one is painting all the buildings orange, but that's a topic for another day. It's because of that naming scheme that I gave my wall the name Kuraimu. Yes, I realize that naming a wall I haven't built yet is like a high schooler designing album covers for a band that doesn't exist. Shut up, it's gonna be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment